Self-Help Center:  Family Law Return to the Family Law Home page FAQs about Divorce, Dissolution and Custody Cases Family Law Forms Glossary of Family Law Terms Alaska Court System homepage Feedback Form

Court System Home » Representing Yourself » Family Law Self-Help Center » FAQs » Domestic Relations Procedural Order (Standing Order)

Domestic Relations Procedural Order (Standing Order)

View video: Standing Orders Play Standing Orders  Video

What is a Domestic Relations Procedural Order?

This is the first order from your judge that sets out the basic rules for the parties to follow during the case.

When do I get the Domestic Relations Procedural Order?

You receive it when you file your custody or divorce case, or when you are served by the opposing party with the complaint for divorce or custody.

Is the Domestic Relations Procedural Order the same as a Standing Order?

Yes. Some courts call it a Standing Order.

What is the purpose of the Domestic Relations Procedural Order (or Standing Order)?

The order tells the parties many things that they are required to do or prohibited from doing. Three important things it says are:

You can read the Third and Fourth Judicial Districts standing orders to get an idea of what these orders say.

Do I need to ask the court to stop the opposing party from taking our child(ren) out of Alaska?

No, the standing order already prohibits either party from taking the child(ren) out of Alaska unless the parents agree or the court orders it.

Do I need to ask the court to stop the opposing party from selling our house or car?

No, the standing order already prohibits either party from selling marital property unless the parties agree or the court orders it.

What happens if I violate the order?

Violating this order is very serious - don't do it! There can be serious consequences to you. Depending on the violation, it can affect your final order regarding custody and visitation or property division. You can also be arrested in some situations.

What if I need to do something that may violate the order?

Sometimes situations come up where a parent may need to take the children out of Alaska during a divorce or custody case. Or you may lose your house in foreclosure or a car to repossession unless you come up with money by selling them. If you and the opposing party cannot agree on these types of issues, you can file a motion that asks the court for permission to take specific action. Please visit the Motion Practice section to learn more. The court may issue an order allowing you to take the requested action. Until you receive a court order allowing the action, the standing order is in effect.

What do I do if the opposing party violates the order?

You can let the court know by filing a motion depending on what the violation is. If you want the court to order the return of your children or property, call the Family Law Self-Help Center who can help you with forms.

How long is the domestic relations procedural order in effect?

Once the case is done and a final judgment has been entered then the order is no longer in effect.

Rev. 6 January 2014
© Alaska Court System
Contact Us

PDF You'll need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view and print documents with this symbol. If you are using a screen reader, get support and information at the Adobe Access website.