Self-Help Center:  Family Law Return to the Family Law Home page FAQs about Divorce, Dissolution and Custody Cases Family Law Forms Glossary of Family Law Terms Alaska Court System homepage Feedback Form

Court System Home » Representing Yourself » Family Law Self-Help Center » Forms & Information About Child Support » How to Get Proof of Your Earnings

How to Get Proof of Your Earnings - Frequently Asked Questions

I did not keep any records, how can I get proof of my earnings?

There are three places that you can request this information from:

What is the difference in the information I receive from the Alaska Department of Labor (DOL), the Social Security Administration (SSA), and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

The information from the DOL includes: the name of the business and the gross wage (before tax amount) reported by the employer. This information is done by quarter, or every 3 months.

The information from the SSA includes: earnings record for the time period that you have requested. It does not include company names, but you can get a detailed record, you just have to send off for it.

The information from the IRS includes: a transcript of your earnings on the past year's tax return. You can also get an exact copy of the return.

Can I authorize another person to get these records?

Yes, each agency has a procedure allowing you to release your information to a third party.

How do I get the information from the Department of Labor?

Written Request (can be used only by people who have not received Unemployment Benefits in the last 5-7 years.)

This information is usually sent back to you in about 3 days.

Submit the following:

  1. a written, signed Request and Release for Records, SHC-1282 (Word | PDF)
  2. a photocopy of your personal ID (such as an Alaska Driver's License)
  3. a copy of your Social Security Card (All of DOL's records are based on Social Security Number, so you must be able to verify your social security number with your social security card or another form of ID that includes this number.)

via mail
Alaska Employment Security Division
UI Support Unit
PO Box 25509
Juneau, AK 99802-5509

via fax
(907) 465-2741

Telephonic request
In Anchorage: 269-4700
In Fairbanks: 451-2871
In Juneau: 465-5552
Outside of Anchorage and out of Alaska: 888-252-2557.

How do I get information from the Social Security Administration (SSA)?

To get information from the SSA you must complete Form SSA-7050, PDF the Request for Social Security Earnings Information, and attach copies of proof of ID (including a copy of your social security card). You may file it in person at your local Social Security office, by mail or by fax.

Social Security Administration
Room A11
222 W 8th Avenue
Anchorage , AK 99513

Phone: 907-271-4878
Fax: 907-271-4878

If you want to authorize another person to get your earnings history, you must complete an Authorization to Release Social Security Earnings Information, SHC-1285 (Word | PDF).

If you have more questions, please visit the Social Security Administration's website.

How do I get my previous tax returns from the IRS?

IRS Form 4506, PDF Request for Copy or Transcript of Tax Form, can be used to get an exact copy of your tax return, a transcript or just the W-2 information. You must pay a fee for an exact copy and the amount is listed on the form. Transcripts and W-2 information are provided for free.

The completed form must be mailed to:

P.O. Box 9941
Photocopy Unit
Stop 6734
Ogden, UT 84409

Phone: 1-800-829-1040 Monday – Friday 6 am – 9 pm,
Anchorage: 271-6391, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Fairbanks: 456-0204, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, closed for lunch 12:30 – 1:30 pm

There is generally a 10 day turn around on getting the transcript and W-2 information, exact copies may take longer. In certain circumstances, you may be able to get transcript and W-2 information by visiting your local office with the completed IRS Form 4506 and proper identification.

If you want to authorize another person to get a copy of your tax returns, you must complete additional IRS forms. Please see the instructions to the IRS Form 4506 for more information.

For more information, please visit the IRS FAQ page.

Rev. 11 September 2017
© Alaska Court System
Contact Us

PDF You'll need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view and print documents with this symbol. If you are using a screen reader, get support and information at the Adobe Access website.